Peter Elvison: 6 Feb 1948 - 11 Feb 2019

Chances are, Peter Elvison means nothing to you. He's nobody because the Internet is a large place. It's impossible to know everyone at once, living or dead.
Peter Elvison Mandurah Karaoke

But there are some out there who'll do an Internet search in the not-to-distant future and type in the words Peter Elvison - to find out more about who the Mandurah man was.

Perhaps you didn't know he was sick, he'd passed without anyone telling you or maybe you're sad you didn't make it to his funeral. 

Perhaps you did attend but look for answers to questions you're unable to ask Peter.

Things go like that. Life passes us by too fast. We miss stuff and feel annoyed.

And in that vain, I'm providing my own memorial here on the Internet. It probably won't answer all your questions or alleviate every hurt but perhaps the mark I leave on this blog will give you some kind of peace.   

Peter was my close friend. He died last week and we celebrated his life yesterday. (check date on this post)

Firstly, let me tell you about the funeral.

It was a lovely affair. 

About 100 people attended his memorial at Just Cremations. The room filled to standing room and then spilled into an overflow section near the main doors. It was more than the 30-50 expected to arrive.
Peter Elvison Mandurah Funeral
Order of Service Booklet

It contained a mix of family from the eastern states, those here in Western Australia as well as friends from the Mandurah region near to where he lived and played.

I had the honour and privelage of speaking for this last group, his Mandurah friends - the karaoke family. 

Yes, karaoke. He had one.

By day, he kept to himself and was rarely seen in the sunlight. By night, he appeared wherever and whenever the music was playing. He loved to sing - the local karaoke haunt was Murphy's. 

Over the last five years, I met with this vampire up to three times a week to take turns at the microphone. We'd grab a beer, sit down and watch the regulars and newbies file through the door so they could do the same.

He knew all of the singer's names. Some wouldn't have become regulars if it weren't for his encouragement and enthusiasm. Some wouldn't have tried in the first place

By the end of each night, it wasn't unusual for our tiny table of two to grow to between 8 and 16 people laughing, singing and dancing around it.

During my part in the funeral service, I spoke of anecdotes just like this one and added sympathy messages from the crew in between times.

His sister Angela followed up with a eulogy that filled us in with all the other parts of his life we never knew. We were suprised to find out that Elvison was a made-up name. He was born with an entirely different one and changed it!

The service included a sing-a-long to his favourite song, 'Rockabilly Rebel' and concluded with 'Always Look On The Bright Side of Life'.

It was a mix of tears and laughter.

The wake was held just a couple of blocks away - MURPHY'S!

If I had to summarize the atmosphere at the funeral and wake: It was a blend of restrained sadness and cheeky celebration - in a good way. Think of a roller coaster that stretched your imagination of a man's life experiences instead of a fear of loss.

I believe it would've been everything he wanted, possibly more than he'd have ever expected. 

From the living side of funerals, his lengthy list of dedicated friends was testimony to the respect he had amongst them. They cried but kept their backs straight and strong all the while.

I never said so on the day but my heart was bursting with pride. 

Peter's life had made a serious impact on other's lives and this was the day that proved it. His family would've seen this and taken that memory back with them.

I don't know much about his family and it would be unfair of me to speak on things of which I know very little. Perhaps another post will appear out there somewhere that answers those 'other' questions I'm unable to provide.

For those who didn't know he was sick, had died or missed attending the funeral, don't worry, he knows. Peter knows you're there for him, I'm sure of it.

He was a private guy and didn't want to trouble anyone with his ills or pain. It's not surprising you didn't know. (When I found out his situation was dire, I broadcasted messages on F/book and let the friendship circles cast it's net as wide and far. Perhaps it missed you or FB isn't your thing.)
 
Okay, I know you want to know why he died. Well, you made it this far. You may as well know.

Lung cancer.

After Christmas 2018, he developed the 'flu and a cough that contributed to fracturing some ribs. The bug grew to pneumonia and he was admitted to hospital in early January. Although I asked many times, he deflected my probing questions with a: 'They're not telling me anything.'

While still a patient, he developed an ulcer and bled internally. 

Lumps also formed near his neck.

His breathing became so shallow that I was gasping for air just listening to him talk.

He passed 5 weeks later. His sister gave me the final news.

Yes, once in hospital, that's where he stayed until he passed. It happened quickly and, for that, I'm thankful.

RIP Peter. I miss you.
 
(Author and Peter's karaoke friend.)  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Before Marriage and The Devil's Work

"Totally Disgraceful!" Review of Silver Sands Resort

Saving a Drowning Pigeon from the Sea.