Brisbane Birthday Party and Dark Fiction Fact Checks


Brisbane City - Southbank, Qld Australia.
Brisbane: Research and Reunion
Helen turned 50 and a surprise birthday was planned for her in Brisbane.

Thanks to her husband's deviousness, he thought to invite all my sister's close friends and family to unite for a secret night of celebration and frivolity.

They were to come from everywhere around the state of Queensland. In my case, from the other side of the country.

How could I not make the trip? I hadn't seen her in five years!

A plan was made.

Whistle stop touring from the opposite end of an Aussie continent isn't easy. What does one do when arriving from a distance?

There's a long haul flight that changes everything - considering whether to stay just for the party or hang around longer and try to make a holiday out of it. Could I afford the time for one? If so, prioritize what, who, where and when to visit when there?

I decided my trip would be broken down to five main elements and pursued with vigor once I got there:
  1. Birthday party
  2. Visit family
  3. Research material for new novels
  4. Memory lane
  5. Visit friends
The birthday party was a no-brainer. That's the reason behind making plans to travel, the rest simply falls in behind.

Family included my sister, mother, cousin, my brother and his wife, an uncle and two aunts, and any other family member who happened to be within striking distance of Brisbane when there.

My novels include Brisbane. With my trusty phone camera at hand, I took pictures of the scenes involved inside the manuscripts so I could research them later at home, get their descriptions right (alter them if necessary) and look for new material for future stories along the way.

Memory lane is simply that - crossing old ground to feel something of the past, where I once lived plus some other key areas. I'm nuts about revisiting history and observing the changes made to my past worlds.

Friends. There are so many, past and present. My plan was to fit-in who I could based on geographical and time restraints.

Campervan Touring
A brainstorm hit me a week before leaving: 'I'll hire a camper van!'

Motel stays are okay but I didn't know where or when I'd be at any one time. Flexibility was paramount when choosing accommodation sites. Motels often want some advance notice.

I'd be visiting family and it was possible (though not always likely) that I'd be able to stay with them overnight - and I'd have to rent a vehicle anyway. Stay or not, the camper gave me more options.

It'd offer the necessary transport I'd need to get from place to place but it'd be my escape route - I'd be able to hit the road sooner than later the following morning. I'd be a turtle with my home on my back.

What a great decision that turned out to be!

Nudgee Beach Murder - Found Body Here
A body is Found Here - Nudgee
My first stop was Nudgee Beach. It's a place I know well - I took photography students there every eight or so weeks for their practical classes. There's a new book coming out shortly and Nudgee is where some interesting crime fiction takes place in one of them. A couple meet there one night but only one person leaves.

The boardwalk in question hovers over a sandy beach near a creek that runs east and west, at least that's the way it appears in the book. In life, it's a bit different to that. There's mud and vegetation to include too. I'm going to have to re-write the section to suit.

And then I needed to rest.

I never sleep on flights. A midnight one of five hours hits hard. I found a quiet place in Sandgate, parked between some trees and then shut my eyes. Three hours later I was ready to continue.

Redcliffe!

The Red Cliffs of Redcliffe
Red Cliff of Redcliffe
Another crime site described in novel three, is set right at the foot of the red cliffs!

In all the years I visited, sailed and lived there, I never got a shot of the cliffs that give the area it's name. Now I have!

Of course they're not red at all, but neither are many redheads I've met. (I've never figured out how orange and red become one!)

And then I looked at the rocky beach to the left, right where another murder takes place, and realized some more rewriting is needed to get it just right before it goes to print too!

'Thanks for taking the time to revisit my old stomping ground Michael,' I said.

'You're welcome,' I replied.

After thanking myself, doing a lap of the Redcliffe Peninsula and watching the sunset over Deception Bay, it was time to make camp in the area. Thanks Louis and Wilma for dinner and a bed.

To accelerate the reading of this post I'll pick things up: The next day was spent in Dayboro. I checked out our old home, met friends, saw the sights and got ready for the Helen's inaugral coming of old age party.

What a surprise she had. I had to limit social media postings and be careful what I sent, especially what showed in the background of pics.

Mother's Day followed her birthday, so did lunch and a movie on the southside of Brisbane. (Mother likes going to the movies).

Logan City was an ever-so brief stop. I refuelled there and headed back to Brisbane to be part-tourist and part-researcher. Many photos were taken. Many thanks also go to Dennis and Lucea for hosting me that night.

Bobbie had some fantastic news to tell me so I diverted my touring to include a stop in Strathpine.

Liana without Tiramasu
It's ironic. I was there and then found my way back to where I started. Tea and Tiramasu with Liana in Northlakes rounded off my time in the greater Brisbane area.

What time was left was spent recording a new podcast and packing up to get ready for the flight back to Perth.

In the weeks to come, new content will be added here and on the home site. Stay tuned for both.

On that note, tune-up for the two new upcoming dark fiction novels designed to frighten and creep. You'll never look at online dating again. You'll never keep your e-device or laptop computer in the room where you sleep ever again.

Was that a spoiler?

-M

Start here for SEETHINGS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Before Marriage and The Devil's Work

"Totally Disgraceful!" Review of Silver Sands Resort

Saving a Drowning Pigeon from the Sea.