Returning to Skylab's Re-Entry

  1979: Space Doom or Excitement? 


If you remember this map and those three red orbit lines published for newspapers in 1979, you'll also remember that Skylab's fall back to Earth was both exciting and dangerous for Earth's citizens. 

Would it crash on a populated area or plop harmlessly into an open sea? 

Did you know that money was offered for pieces of the wreckage?

As a small boy living in Logan City, Brisbane, I wasn't anxious but excited. I wanted it to crash into my backyard!

They said it could fall anywhere. My home was anywhere.

Like other parts of Australia (and World), Brisbane was in the possible crash zone. I ignored NASA's statements that it'd most likely fall into the Indian Ocean. One of Skylab's final orbits tracked over my house. To me, that was the drop point, not some boring ocean!

It'd fall somewhere over Woodridge perhaps, and my parents and I would go and pick it up in the morning.

Scientists get things wrong all the time. Why can't it drop next to my home?
SKYLAB debris
I saw it pass by on it's final orbit. I sure did. It broke apart and two pieces tracked across the sky until they disappeared over the horizon. Dammit! It was supposed to fall on us!

Esperance was in the headlines by morning and I my head sunk. Logan City wasn't the crash site after all. Esperance was nowhere near Woodridge. I didn't know where Esperance was. I had to pull out an Atlas to locate it on a map.

Western Australia had received what was left of the six year old space structure. Bits of the lab were strewn from there to the Nullarbor Plain. Both were miles from were we lived - many days of driving if we went to see it by car.

It landed in the right country but at the wrong damn place!

Oh well, what an exciting time for a child growing up in the seventies!

more SKYLAB debris

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sex Before Marriage and The Devil's Work

Saving a Drowning Pigeon from the Sea.

"Totally Disgraceful!" Review of Silver Sands Resort